|Stains, corrosion and scale are not just problems during the
swimming season. By using the right products and following the
simple procedures below, you will protect your pool during the cold
winter weather. Climates vary, so be sure to ask your local
authorized dealer for specific winterizing instructions.
- Take a water sample to your authorized dealer for a complete water
analysis. Follow your dealer's instructions to balance the water as needed.
- Clean the pool by brushing the walls, skimming the water surface and
vacuuming the pool bottom. Clean pool wall tile and vinyl with cleaner.
Empty pump and skimmer baskets.
- Clean or backwash the filter according to the manufacturer's instructions
using a filter cleaner and degreaser following the label's instructions.
- Protect your pool water using a shock treatment per label instructions. Run
the pump for several hours to disperse the product thoroughly.
- Protect your pool against algae with the addition of an algaecide per label
instructions. Then add a product to remove metal contaminants from the
water as per label instructions. Run pump for several hours to disperse
- Lower the water in the pool down to the level recommended by the
manufacturer for winterizing.
- Drain water from equipment such as pump, filter, heater, chlorinator, hoses
and pipes as recommended by the manufacturer. Ask your dealer if you
should protect the pipes and equipment with a non-toxic, swimming pool
antifreeze. Ladders, chlorinator (if offline model), pump and skimmer
baskets should be stored.
- Cover the pool using a quality cover to prevent leaves, dirt and debris from
accumulating in the pool.